Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Finished Work for Eco Ellie: Live, Love, Lead

This is the story of Eco Ellie (copyright Kellogg), an elephant learning about conservation. She and her grandma want to help humans know how to help the planet. I think the illustrations are pretty self-explanatory. The main character's color design is based on the plush toy that is intended to accompany the book. Cover Illustration.

Eco Ellie and her grandma.
Problems.
Conserve Energy.
Buy Local. Conserve Water.Ride a Bike.Recycle.
Be a Leader.


Leave a small (mouse-size) carbon foot-print.

All works are copyright Kellogg. I ended up having to sign over all rights. Basically, I was doing work for hire, without knowing I was doing work for hire. I do have co-authorship. Live and learn, I guess.



9 comments:

Meridth McKean Gimbel said...

I love the saggy elephant :)

Hey I just wanted to say that I was sad I didn't see you two weeks ago... but I was figuring that it was due to being "with child." I hope the end of your pregnancy goes well.

Robert, Jeana, and Brooke said...

Your art is incredible! You'll have to let me know when the book prints. It was great catching up on your life (I love blogs). Take care. jeana wadsworth bird

Jon and Tamara said...

You are such a fabulous artist, Aria. I'm not surprised, but I am impressed. :-) -Tamara

jennifer said...

I like these illustrations. Nice style.

Ken Chandler said...

Fun stuff Aria! Sorry about the work-for-hire thing-- that stinks. Hope the next project goes better.

Ken Chandler said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Meridth McKean Gimbel said...

I saw your picture of your cute hair. (I guess that post disappeared). But I wanted you to know that you look adorable and incredibly skinny.

Hope all is well and you are getting more sleep these days ;)

The Fifes said...

what does work for hire mean? what would you have preferred it to be? Love your work, especially the oil portraits. Great job!

Aria Eden said...

Work for hire means that I don't retain any of the copyright and have no ability to make money off of any other use of said artwork. It's one of the last things you want to have to do as an illustrator, but it happens. It's best to have some say (and income)in the future use of your work.